Excellent broad look at building a successful team. The corollaries in our escape rooms are unmistakeable:
This recent article of How to Build a Successful Team in the New York Times makes clear why escape rooms fit so perfectly a successful team building activity:
- We have a clear and visible goal (save the world, escape) that everyone knows
- There are clear, but broad rules of behavior - look, but do not destroy; say what you're thinking and listen; we're in this together
- Everyone's ideas need to be respected - since our rooms pull from a Multiple Intelligences theory, it is critical to get perspectives and insights from everyone to succeed
- Everyone needs to deliver - your team cannot succeed based on a single person doing. Solving puzzles take different physical as well as intellectual skills; some flatly will require multiple parties
- Communication is critical - we're all in the same room, so the miscommunication common to emails, texts, etc; go by the wayside.
Escape Rooms are the most cost and personnel efficient kickoff, wall breaking down and re-socializing method of Team Building activities.
And they are incredibly fun!