When looking for an awesome experience at an escape room, the last thing on your mind should be safety. And on this front, Fox in a Box - Chicago has your back, because you shouldn't need to worry about your safety -- we do. Here are some of the many steps that we take to ensure a safe visit, so that you can go on to have an awesome experience.
In regards to concerns of cleanliness & disinfection (important for cold and flu season as well as covid-19), these are some of the measures that we take:
- We clean and disinfect our game rooms between every game. We provide a deeper cleaning between every game shift. We are changing our schedule to provide additional time between games to clean and disinfect the rooms.
- While games are being run, our hosts clean and disinfect the lobby and other public spaces
- We provide hand disinfectant for players both before and after their games.
- We provide nitrile gloves for free so that players can glove up if desired.
- All room costumes are either washed after every single use, or we have removed them from our games.
- Unlike most part-time staffed companies, we provide sick time to all employees and instruct them to stay at home if they feel sick without loss of wages.
And as a reminder to the many other safety measures that we have always taken:
- You're not locked in - Even though we are an escape room, most of our rooms are focused on completing a mission -- not escaping -- if you're uncomfortable with the situation, open the door and step out. And even if you are escaping, exit is just a glowing green button away. You do not need to rely on anyone else to release you. In the unlikely event of a power outage, the rooms automatically unlock.
- Private rooms - In a real emergency, you're there with just the people you know. This makes communication easier and quicker, and everyone is more likely to behave appropriately
- 1:1 Game master to room supervision - Beyond the fact that our game masters pay attention to just your group and deliver just enough help under 10 seconds for the best possible experience, in an emergency your game master is responsible to take care of just your group. And our game masters take the time to get to know you. They are invested in your success and obviously your safety.
- Age limits - We do not allow players 15 and under to be unaccompanied by an adult, and for groups with those under 12 we require multiple adults. This assists greatly with communication in the unlikely event of an emergency.
- Emergency lighting - In the event of a power failure, emergency lighting will come on in all rooms and all enclosing locked doors will release immediately. Exit lights will remain on both inside our facility and as you exit the building.
- Sprinklers, extinguishers and CO detectors - Fox in a Box is a fully sprinklered facility. And in the interest of safety, we also have CO detectors and multiple fire extinguishers for additional support.
- Regular Inspections - as a Chicago public place of amusement, we have regular inspections conducted by the city.
- Posted egress - right next to our exit, we have a posted plan for how your group will get out of the building (or get to the bathroom, depending on the nature of the emergency ;) ).
- Clear emergency procedures - Our staff has clear emergency procedures to deal with emergencies both within our facility and outside the facility.
Our goal at Fox in a Box is that you have an amazing time, and of course that means that you are always safe.